As it's name suggests, your emergency dress is meant to be a go to piece. For some women it'll be a classic little black dress while others will select something less conventional. The key to selecting one of these dresses is to first find a fit that's flattering. Next, you should stay away from any embellishments or other details as they may outdate the piece over time. You will want to choose a dress that is simpler so that it can fit many occasions. This is because the dress is meant to be perfect for a variety of reasons; ie: for when you get asked out for dinner last minute and/or if you have limited space in your suitcase for a weekend trip and you're unsure of what exactly you'll be doing. To showcase its versatility, check out three key ways to style it including what to do at work, how to wear it for a date and what to do if it needs to stand in at a black-tie optional event.
At work: Add a blazer, a classic handbag, some coordinating pumps and some simple hoop earrings. The key in this situation is to create a look that is both powerful and sophisticated. Therefore, you don't want to add on an excess of accessories, but instead, allow your dress to act as the focal point.
On a date: Add a belt, peep toe stilettos, a clutch and bangle bracelets. Your emergency dress should be a piece that you look amazing in so show that off by wearing it with just a few accent pieces none of which should hide how awesome you look.
As evening wear: Add a beaded bolero or evening jacket, a coordinating clutch, strappy stilettos and simple jewelry. The key to making this look work well is to select accessories that are particularly luxurious so choose rich colors or intricate details in order to create the most chic look possible.
Few pieces are as classic or iconic as a well fitting white tee. Tailored properly it can be an asset in almost every situation and is a great solution when seeking out the right top for almost every outfit. To show off how easily the piece moves from day to night check out three key ways in which it can be styled in looks that travel from the boardroom to a ballroom.
At work: Add a fitted blazer, a fun handbag, Louboutin pumps, a patterned pencil skirt and some stud earrings. The additional pieces dress up the tee but they don't hide it, allowing you to own the fact that you've managed to take a more casual element and create a perfectly acceptable corporate look.
On a date: Add a wrap sweater, skinny jeans, ballet flats, a handbag and a simple accessory. In a date situation it's not as important to dress up the tee. Instead, you want a look that while clearly comfortable is also incredibly chic.
As evening wear: Add a silk wrap skirt, a jeweled clutch, a cocktail ring, Louboutin peep toes and a real or faux fur wrap. In order for a white tee not to look completely out of place in a semi-formal setting it needs to fit impeccably and your color palette needs to be classic with all of your accent pieces being unquestionably luxe.
With every fashion week comes the unveiling of a color palette that highlights all of the "It" colors for the upcoming season. Sometimes the shades are classic and it's easy to figure out ways to seamlessly include them into your daily wardrobe. Other times though the colors are especially bold or bright or don't seem as if they'll be a perfect match for anything that you already own. With that in mind, using the Spring/Summer 2013 color palette as an example, here's a brief guide on 5 ways to work seasonal colors into your wardrobe.
1. Opt for accessories: Bags and scarves especially can be a great way to work in small pops of seasonal colors and are easy to coordinate with pieces you already have.
2. Embrace it via basics: A great way to utilize seasonal colors is by looking for them in basic pieces such as ballet flats and tank tops. The classic looks and cuts of these pieces can make the colors appear more flattering as they're incorporated into familiar pieces.
3. Go bold: If you're feeling daring or particularly drawn to a certain seasonal shade then select a piece where the shade is front and center like in a great dress.
4. Find a piece of statement jewelry: Similar to the logic surrounding the selection of other accessories, a piece of statement jewelry is a great way to work a seasonal color into your wardrobe in a smaller dose.
5. Nail it: A manicure featuring a seasonal shade is a temporary way to try out a trendy color and see if you like it.